Spitfire/ GT6 driveshaft flanges

To: <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Spitfire/ GT6 driveshaft flanges
From: "Isaac Crow" <Isaac@Avana.Net>
Date: Sun, 18 Jan 1998 20:09:05 -0500charset="iso-8859-1"
Hello list,

I am working on a Spit6 conversion (GT6 engine & tranny in Spit), and needed
to have a driveshaft shortened to fit the custom distance between the GT6
tranny output flange, and the Spit rear end flange.
These both have the 4 , 3/8" bolt holes in them.  I had $106 worth of work
done on a driveshaft that I THOUGHT fit the flanges on the car.  However, I
was very dissappointed to find out that the driveshaft flanges ended up
being 5/16" holes, and the flange diameter slightly smaller, when I went to
assemble.  I guess visual comparison was not enough  :(

I guess my next step is to try to determine what this driveshaft actually
is. Older spit with the 1100 engine?  It has a sliding type length
adjustment on it.  I know that Spit & GT6 u-joints are one and the same, so
would I just be able to swap driveshaft flanges?  Would the shaft still end
up being the same length (there is very little adjustment)?

Any help GREATLY appreciated!

Isaac Crow
'74 Spit6-progress-stalled
Winder, GA