Re: Fram PH 3600 Oil Filter

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Fram PH 3600 Oil Filter
From: William Smith <wlsmith@idt.net>
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 1998 17:59:07 -0500
Not to belabor the subject, but I have two Fords which use the PH3600
and I recently noticed a change in the design of the filter in the area
of the mounting flange.  As I have purchased a spin-on kit, but not yet
installed it on my TR-6, I was concerned about the purpose of the
change, and whether the new design retained the by-pass valve.

As I like to go to the horse's mouth whenever I have a question about a
product, I called 800 information and got their tel. number. (they are a
division of Allied Signal and are located in Connecticut - sorry I
didn't keep my notes, but their street address is on the filter box)

I called and was connected to a technical customer service rep. in their
catalog dept.  He told me that the purpose of the change was to
strengthen it, particulrly in high pressure applications.  When I asked,
he said that the by-pass valve had been retained (I don't know if he was
telling me the straight scoop, or whether he was just telling me what I
wanted to hear).  In any event, I made the call before any of this
discussion on the list.

If anyone else calls them, I'd like to hear about what they were told.
Also, someone on the list said they couldn't see the by-pass valve on or
in the PH3600.  What does a by-pass valve look like on a spin-on, and
where on/in the filter should it appear?

Bill Smith
'72 TR-6