WD-40, a lubricant?

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: WD-40, a lubricant?
From: Chris DeStaffany <sjmeds@rockisland.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 1998 09:42:05 -0800
Fellow listers;

In the discussions of lubricating fan motors, I have noticed concepts that
are confusing me (imagine that from a Triumph owner).  It appears that some
people are using WD-40 as a lubricant.  It is my understanding that WD-40
was developed by NASA as a water displacer (hence WD).  Any lubricating
effect last only until the liquid evaporates, from a few hours to a few
days.  It's ability to stop squeeks and the like, as far as I can acertain,
is from attacking corrosion.  I frequently use it to thin oil applied to
squeeking joints so it will penetrate better.  Then after the DW-40
evaporates the oil thickens and lubricates even better.  For my lubrication
needs, I keep on hand a large number of different viscosity oils and greases
as well as WD-40 but the oils and greases stop the squeeks.  I think I have
my facts straight, but then again there was this car I bought while I was in
collage that the guy told me was extremely reliable because of it's superior
British engineering, but that's another story.

Chris DeStaffany

66 Hearld ready for the redo