I think I screwed them up

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: I think I screwed them up
From: Vito Pacione <vito@argohouston.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 1998 22:17:36 -0600
Well,

I finally got the first front trunnion together. I used copper non sieze
compound, etc.

The problem I have is that the trunnion can not be moved by hand. I need a 12"
rod inserted into it and used as a pry bar. They used to move easily by
hand when I took them apart even though they were dirty and rusty. I
suppose my torque wrench could be off, but it has served me well in the
past. The bolt is torqued to 65 ft/lb.

The actual symptom is that I can move one of the arms by itself (the one in
front). But the trunnion itself seems glued to the other arm. If I rotate
the other arm, the trunnion goes with it. If I hold both arms, the only way
to move the trunnion is with the pry bar. I could loosen them or I could
take it apart and try it again, but unless I do something different, I
don't think I'll see any different symptoms.

By the way, are there any steering stops for the trunnions that are the
right height around? the ones being sold are too short.