Re: TR3 Cylinder Sleeves

To: "John Middlesworth" <jape@email.unc.edu>, "GRUSHGANG" <GRUSHGANG@aol.com>
Subject: Re: TR3 Cylinder Sleeves
From: "Bob Kramer" <rgk@flash.net>
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 1998 08:55:56 -0600
Cc: <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
I've had good success using an old driving flange with 4 point contact
and a driver of some sort on the inverted cylinder liners, with the
block on the bench. I pull the block over the edge and knock the
sleeves into a trash pail (always full in my garage). I worried about
damaging the bottom edge, but I've done 8 this way with no damage
whatsoever.

Bob Kramer, Austin TX
Hill Country Triumph Club
TR6x3, TR250 x3, TR3A vintage race
rgk@flash.net

----------
> From: John Middlesworth <jape@email.unc.edu>
> To: GRUSHGANG <GRUSHGANG@aol.com>
> Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
> Subject: Re: TR3 Cylinder Sleeves
> Date: Thursday, January 15, 1998 7:54 AM
>
> After thousands of miles of riding around with hot radiator fluid
> surrounding them, the liners are going to be rusted pretty securely
in
> place, so there's little hope of them pulling out from the top.
Here's
> what I had to do on my 4-banger:  I stripped the block completely
until I
> was left with just the initial casting with, of course, the liners
still
> firmly in place.  I inverted the block on a couple of 2x4's, allowing
> space for the liner I was working on to move downward.  The trick is
that
> you don't want to bang metal against the bottom of the liners because
> you'll chip and bend them.  The bottom edge (which is facing up when
the
> engine is inverted) is the thinnest part.
>
> I finally made do with some angled cuts of 2x4 wood, about ten inches
> long. I set one angled piece against the cylinder wall and another
between
> that wood and the other side so that when I hammered down the two
pieces
> were jammed in pretty securely.  With some more hammering the liner
> finally moved downward and I was able to turn the block on its side
and
> remove it.  No harm to the liners this way.
>
> Boil out the block then and make sure your new liner gaskets have a
> rust-free surface to sit on.
>
> John Middlesworth
> 1960 TR3A
> 1966 TR4A
>
> On Thu, 15 Jan 1998, GRUSHGANG wrote:
>
> > Has anyone had any experience replacing the cylinder sleeves on a
TR3A? Once