[no subject]

To: Colin R Fenn <erasmus@fenn.demon.co.uk>
From: Allen Nugent <A.Nugent@unsw.edu.au>
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 1998 12:30:28 +1100 (EST)
Dear Colin,

I just thought of some further recommendations for your TR7 rebuild,
concerning the all-important oil supply.

1. Take-apart, inspect, and measure-up your old oil pump as described in
Haynes, to see if it wants replacing. Better yet, just replace it. (Check
the new one, too: they've been known to be defective).

2. You might consider fitting an uprated 80 PSI relief spring to the pump,
to take care of that new cam, etc.

3. Install an oil pressure gauge. (I got a Smiths unit that also showed
water temperature. I installed the temp sensor in my sump, so I had oil temp
instead. I took the oil pressure from an adaptor that came with the Moss oil
filter kit. The gauge fit nicely under the dash, on the right, in a $3
bracket. I connected the lamp in the gauge to a white/pink wire, so it comes
on with the running lights.)

4. Baffle your oil sump! I know at least 2 people who spun their cranks
during hard cornering (to the right, I think), because the oil sloshes away
from the pickup. Apparently, you can see your oil pressure gauge go to zero
on a fast racetrack corner.

Please get back to me if you need further details.
Allen Nugent
Graduate School of Biomedical Engineering
University of New South Wales
Sydney  2052  Australia