Re: bearing noise

To: Gary Nafziger <naffy@netins.net>
Subject: Re: bearing noise
From: Allen Nugent <A.Nugent@unsw.edu.au>
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 1998 19:14:31 +1100 (EST)
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
At 15:41 9/01/98 -0600, you wrote:
>Just a question on something I think I have heard for a long time.  I think
>I can hear bearing noise upon start up.  It's just a slight knocking sound...

Gary,

I get the same thing on start-up; I have to keep the revs > 1,000 to stop it.
I have low compression in cyls 1 & 2 (which I can't afford to fix just yet),
and it's my guess that this causes dynamic imbalance of the crank. Perhaps
its worse in a cold engine because the difference in power-stroke pressure
between the good and bad cylinders is exaggerated.

Anybody else with ideas?

Allen Nugent
Graduate School of Biomedical Engineering
University of New South Wales
Sydney  2052  Australia