Change oil type?

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Change oil type?
From: GRUSHGANG <GRUSHGANG@aol.com>
Date: Sun, 11 Jan 1998 20:46:33 EST
I have a 58 TR3 that hasn't been run for 24 years. When it was running, I used
Castrol "Regular" 30 WT,  a non-detergent oil. I plan on giving it a ring and
possibly valve job soon. I probably will replace the pistons and liners also.
However, I would like to get it running until I can afford to purchase all of
the above. Would it be wise to continue using a non detergent oil before the
rebuild or could I pull the oil pan, clean it out and use detergent oil? My
concern is that unless I tear the engine down completely, I might not be able
to remove enough old deposits and therefore  create more problems.