shake, rattle & roll....(loss of power/severe sputtering)

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: shake, rattle & roll....(loss of power/severe sputtering)
From: Jon Moody <mood@erols.com>
Date: Sun, 11 Jan 1998 17:08:20 -0500
Hi all,

I took my '6 out today for the first time in several months.  It did
great the first three miles and then cut out on me.  Ever since it seems
to idle OK but whenever I press the accelerator, it spits and sputters
and lurches down the road.  I'm sure I provided several people who saw
me cruising down the road this way with their afternoon's entertainment
;).  Someone in my local club suggested that it was condensation in the
tank, so I got some condensation absorber stuff and put that in the tank
and the problem still exists.  How long should it take for this stuff to
do its magic?   I guess I should check the fuel lines and pump.  Any
other suggestions?