Re[2]: CASH THROUGH U.S. Mail

To: jmwagner@greenheart.com (IPM Return requested), curry@wolfenet.com (IPM Return requested)
Subject: Re[2]: CASH THROUGH U.S. Mail
From: Peter Mchugh <"/c=US/admd=ATTMAIL/prmd=gov+dot/o=FAA/ou=FAAgw/dd.ccMail=Peter Mchugh 'at' AWAASY1PO/"@dotms2-gw.dot.gov>
Date: 09 Jan 1998 14:10:30 -0500
Alternate-recipient: Allowed
Cc: odd@triumphclub.se (IPM Return requested), triumphs@Autox.Team.Net (IPM Return requested)
Conversion: Allowed
Disclose-recipients: Prohibited
X400-content-type: P2-1988 ( 22 )
X400-mts-identifier: [/c=US/admd=ATTMAIL/prmd=gov+dot/; 00B0834B67626101-MTAdot2]
X400-originator: "/c=US/admd=ATTMAIL/prmd=gov+dot/o=FAA/ou=FAAgw/dd.ccMail=Peter Mchugh 'at' AWAASY1PO/"@dotms2-gw.dot.gov
X400-received: by mta MTAdot2 in /c=US/admd=ATTMAIL/prmd=gov+dot/; Relayed; 09 Jan 1998 14:10:30 -0500
X400-received: by /c=US/admd=ATTMAIL/prmd=gov+dot/; Relayed; 09 Jan 1998 14:10:30 -0500
X400-recipients: non-disclosure;

     My ban, however, locks the exchange rate at the time of transaction,
     not when the check clears (I was converting Canadian to US) and holds
     the check (in my case anyway) for three days.

     I figured that the bank made about $750.00 US on my exchange ($50,000
     Canadian turned into about 34,375.oo US) based on the "official"
     exchange rates published at the NASDAC and other exchanges.

     For the amount on money I was dealing with a penny made a $500.00
     difference, and the fluctuations each day made or lost as much as
     $.03... I finally gave up on trying to optimize the exchange, since
     keeping the check in my pocket had an opportunity cost equal to the
     interest I wasn't earning...and just deposited the check into a money
     market account.

     I should have asked the list for advice... (MJB, I love the list, but
     contributing that check to Fat Chance just wasn't in the cards!!!)

     BTW, my bank advised that exchange rates for checks is better than for
     cash.... they don't have as much handling expense.

     A very frustrating experience for a not so well informed sojourner
     into the world of finance.

     PMcQ

     Several Triumphs...