TR Renown aka 'Razoredge' (long but informative)

To: sarah@zephyr.manawatu.planet.co.nz (Sarah Brown), triumphs@Autox.Team.Net, amace@unix2.nysed.gov
Subject: TR Renown aka 'Razoredge' (long but informative)
From: GuyotLeonF <GuyotLeonF@aol.com>
Date: Fri, 9 Jan 1998 18:53:24 EST
Subject: Triumph Renowns
Hello everyone
Having had it confirmed that this is indeed the list for discussing these
cars, I shall proceed thus:

I am considering purchasing a TR Renown. I want a British four door
saloon with classic lines. The open road speed limit in my country (New
Zealand) is 100km/hr (60mph). I want a car which will be usable for
every day use on windy, hilly, sealed, country roads, and which will keep
up with modern traffic.  From what I have read I understand that a Renown
should fit the bill. Any thoughts?

>>Sarah,These cars are so rare here in th UK nowadays,that I've never seen one
actually in motion,but they do turn-up at classic car shows,and are most often
seen with their smaller brethern the Mayflower.
I once saw one at a Standard Triumph International Rally in Holland,May 89,it
had been driven there by it's original elderly owners who told me it had never
been restored! So,they can last well if cared for.
And,I had a conversation with a man at an autojumble who told me he had
restored one and that it took him years and cost a fortune,due to it's hybrid
construction of wood frame c/w early welded together steel body!  Now I do not
want to put you off in any way,but just to make you aware of potential
pitfalls.
 A case,I think,of 'Buyer Beware' Perhaps you've come across a particularly
good example?
What you might do,if you are on North Island,is to contact the Triumph Sports
Six Club Organiser for New Zealand,who is Dayle Montgomery at 118A Archibald
Road,Kelston,Auckland.,tel: 9-818-6620 He,and his wife,have been involved with
Classic cars for years and would,I'm sure be,only to pleased to view any
potential purchase with you,why not give him a call? (tell him I sent you!)
For more info' you might contact the Triumph Razoredge Owners Club: membership
secretary David Wickens,12 Cornwall Close,Camberley,Surrey,GU15 3UA,England:
tel:00-44-1276-65958,I'm sure he'll give you some guidance,he's had these cars
for 27 years

FWIW I am reasonably well acquainted with LBCs having previously owned a
1937 Morris 8, and a Reliant Regal.  I rebuilt the motor on the former and
removed and replaced the gearbox on the latter, so have some mechanical
ability. I will try to find an example with the 2000cc engine with
overdrive which has had the woodwork renewed, has straight panels and is
mechanically sound.
>>sounds like you already know what to look for!
I am aware that leather reupholstery is very expensive.
Are there any other traps for the uninitiated? (ie faults to look out for?)

>>You'll never guess,but there seem to have been very few articles written on
these cars in the 'classic car press' over the last 20 years!
(probably,because they concentrate on cars of the 60's and 70's,ignoring,for
the most part,cars of the 50's.philistines!)
However,in my copy of Popular Classics March 91,(defunct magazine),they
compare the 1949 TR Renown & the 1947 Standard Vanguard Phase 1,the Triumph
being very British in appearance & the Standard,with its' very American
styling.
The Triumph was a sober saloon with exaggeratedly squared-off lines recalling
the 'razor-edge' Rolls Royces & Bentleys,popularised by coachbuilders such as
Freestone & Webb immediately before the war,at least that was Sir John Black's
intention,he admired the style and thought it would lend the TR a suitably
upmarket cache making the car attractive to British people trading down in the
uncertain economic climate of the time.
The TR Renown,originally named the 1800 & 2000 Saloons,was an expensive
car,costing 991 GBP in 1948,when a Wolseley 6/80 cost only 767 GBP. But,there
was nothing else quite like it,and until the end of production in 1954,it sold
a respectable 15,491 The engine is the 2088cc wet-liner 4 cylinder with
pushrod overhead valves,this sturdy unit,versions of which saw applications as
diverse as tractors and sports cars,produced 68bhp at 4200rpm,returning 23.9
mpg.
This torquey engine was matched to a three speed all-synchro' gearbox operated
by column mounted lever on the left.
The gearlevers are rather delicate looking with a leisurely action.There is a
somewhat bulky feel between positions and downchanges are aided by double
declutching. Some cars have overdrive on top gear only,by pulling the
gearlever towards the driver.
Three gears are pefectly adequate with the torquey engine,and can even be
started in second.They are also extremely flexible and will throttle down to
20mph in top,yet still pull away cleanly,giving a 0-60 time of 24.3 secs.Not
very lightweight,(common at the time),the Renown weighs 26.25cwt,with stout
seperate chassis underpinning substantial coachwork.
Top speed is a creditable 75 mph. The robust 4 cylinder engine is not the
smoothest/quietest,but in the Renown is subdued thanks to all that luxurious
woodwork and carpeting. The TR is c/w the Vanguard and they state that the
outwardly sedate TR feels more secure on the road.Aimed at a bend,the TR
understeers initially,but can then be persuaded to handle quite tightly by
drawing the tail out to compensate using the steering and accelerator
pedal,it's all terribly undignified while doing this,but at least it
responds.Brakes are Lockheed Hydraulic Drum and Steering is by Cam and Roller.
The ride is supple,however,it says here that the TR's coachwork suffers from
creaks and groans like a galleon at sea,although wind noise is surprisingly
low.
Front suspension is independent by coil springs/wishbones whilst the rear is
by live-axle/semi-elliptic leaf-springs & anti-sway bar.
The TR has a vintage driving position with a pistol-grip handbrake mounted on
the right,which threatens to skin your shins,and a gearlever that caresses
your thigh when in top gear. Vision though,is very good with slender splayed
windscreen pillars.
The interior has instruments arranged in a prominent polished wooden altar-
piece set in the middle,whilst the leather bench seat,with central fold-down
arm-rest and wood trimming gives the TR an upmarket air.The heavy bootlid
concealing the spare tyre inside it folds down to provide a load platform.
Renowns have always had a loyal following,they are full of character,and were
somewhat anachronistic even when new,highy individual yet resolutely
conservative in looks and manner,offering bespoke quality and limousine
comfort in a vehicle of modest size.

I'm basically after a car with the Morrie's looks but which won't shake
till my teeth rattle at 55mph and require 1st gear for hills :). (I also
will definitely appreciate the 4th wheel :)  )

I read recently (on this list), that this is the best list on the
internet. I look forward to your replies. Thank you in advance.

>>We TRy Sahrah,we TRy...

Regards
Sarah Brown
New Zealand

>>Best Wishes & Good Luck
Leon F Guyot
Trumph Sports Six Club International Secretary.