Re: powder-coat handling

To: vito@argohouston.com
Subject: Re: powder-coat handling
From: F Underwood <funder77@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Fri, 09 Jan 1998 09:54:08 -0800
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
I had my front axle/ engine support powder coated a couple of months ago
and the place that did it was set up for production runs- they had a
conveyor system in which the pieces were suspended- passed by the
"paint" station and then continued to the oven- which was a lot like a
paint booth in a body shop- and then came out the other side and the
workers pulled the pieces off the conveyor and hung them on cooling
racks

SO as I think about all the small pieces that I still have on the Ford
that I would like to powder coat, I am thinking about two other options
besides the Kitchen oven:   a pottery kiln   or  heatlamps fastened to
portable panels.
Used pottery kilns would provide the thermostats and depth needed at a
cost lower than some Kitchen ovens.

The heatlamp system seems to work in the body shop for curing/drying
spot finishes- so I was thinking that with a manual thermometer and a
series of heat lamps I could adapt a couple of panels to cure what ever
size part I was working with. I wonder what kind of drain 8-10 heatlamps
would have?

Cheers,
--
Frank Underwood
59 Ford Consul MKII 'lowline' convertible 205E/A 204E 205730