Re: Understeer

To: Barry Schwartz <bschwart@pacbell.net>
Subject: Re: Understeer
From: "Thomas A. Strange" <jantoms@vbe.com>
Date: Wed, 07 Jan 1998 17:39:01 -0800
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Barry Schwartz wrote:

> J. Altman writes:
> >would someone please define understeer for me.
> ******************************
> Understeer is a condition where the car doesn't turn as much as the
> steering wheel position would seem to indicate it should, or in other words
> the faster you go while trying to turn into a corner the more the (front of
> the) car tries to go in a straight line (front end starts losing grip or
> "pushing the front end").  Oversteer is just the opposite.  That is really
> a 'layman's' description of what's taking place.  What is actually
> happening is that the slip angles of the front to rear tires are changing,
> one becoming greater than the other.  If the front angle starts to become
> greater than the rear, than the car is said to understeer, and the reverse
> is true for oversteering.  If both angles are the same, the car is said to
> have neutral handling
> Does that help any?
>

> Barry Schwartz   (San Diego)
> bschwart@pacbell.net
>
> 72 V6 Spitfire (daily driver)
> 70 GT6+ (When I don't drive the Spit)
> 70 Spit (Currently undergoing a frame off)
> 73 Ford Courier (parts hauler)

sorry, just can't resist.....

OVERSTEER .....  When the driver is having fun & scaring the hell out of
the pasenger.

UNDERSTEER ..... When the passenger doesn't even realize there is a
problem & the driver is scaring the hell out of himself.

to quote a driving school instructor.

Tom Strange, Classic Autosports Ltd., Appleton, Wi.,  920-733-5013