TR-4A Messing with steering column to restore electrical continuity

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: TR-4A Messing with steering column to restore electrical continuity
From: John Cowan <jfcowan@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 7 Jan 1998 07:44:25 -0800 (PST)
  My TR-4A steering column doesn't provide the electrical continuity needed
to ground the control signal from the horn actuator.  I've traced the
problem to high resistance between the lower steering column and the clamp
that holds the column to the front rubber isolator.  Besides removing the
entire steering column, which I won't do, I might:

1. Remove the lower steering column, leaving everything else in place and
clean up the corroded junction, or

2.  Run a wire from behind the rear rubber isolator to the front of the
front rubber isolator.

Is 1. possible and are there any cautions I might have overlooked in
thinking about messing with the isolators and column at all?  Also, is
there some special wire used to safety the connections to the isolators?

Thanks.

John Cowan