Re: Spanners( wrenches) AS and SAE.

To: livo@saglac.qc.ca, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net, amace@unix2.nysed.gov
Subject: Re: Spanners( wrenches) AS and SAE.
From: GuyotLeonF <GuyotLeonF@aol.com>
Date: Sun, 4 Jan 1998 17:19:51 EST
In a message dated 04/01/98  18:36:53, you write:

<< Hello,
 We met at a Triumph rally in Surrey last May. I live in Canada part of the
 year and in Kent the rest of the year.
  I am wondering if you can answer my question.
 I found that although I have spanners or different inch mesurements, that
 they do NOT fit on  my Triumph Herald.

 I am told by a British friend that I must have  AS. spanners (wrenches)
 > In Canada however, their are two systems:
 >    metric and SAE.
 >  I assume that the US is the same.
 > Questions:
 > Is SAE the same as AS?

 John Gasson

  >>I think your friend means A.F. (American Fine) NOT AS spanners.
The original double-(open)-ended spanners made by T.W. (T.Williams of
Birmingham)
that came with the car are all A.F.

Common sizes for our cars are:
5/16" x 3/8"
7/16" x 1/2"
9/16" x 5/8"
19/32" x 11/16"
25/32" x 13/16"
3/4" x 7/8"

Unfortunately,T.Williams have long since ceased trading.

I've never seen SAE on spanners,only other old British systems like B.S.W.
(British Standard Whitworth) or Metric (mm) sizes.

S.A.E. I believe stands for Society (of) Automotive Engineers
and as far as I know applies to things like specifications of engine oils etc.

A.F.spanners can still be obtained from some motor factors here in the UK,but
are becoming more difficult to find as metrication bites.
You can also obtain them by mail order from the TSSC amongst other places.

Try the TSSC website at <http://www.tssc-hq.demon.co.uk/TSSC.html>
Happy New Year
Leon F Guyot
TSSC International

nb.Your Herald may have acquired the odd metric fitting over the years,so your
imperial spanners may not fit everything on your car?