Re: Idiot #CC65489L

To: Dave.Gauthier@nike.com, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Idiot #CC65489L
From: Rikrock <Rikrock@aol.com>
Date: Sat, 3 Jan 1998 21:19:03 EST
In a message dated 98-01-03 20:32:55 EST, Dave.Gauthier@nike.com writes:

<<
 I was 16 when I was shopping for my first TR6. The first one I test drove
 was owned by a recent college graduate. It was in good condition, except
 for a primered front right fender. After I test drove it very
 conservatively, he asked me if I had driven a 6 before. He explained its
 understeering tendency and offered to show me how well it handled. Belted
 in, we sped along some tight turns and he kept the motor screaming. I
 could barely hear his lesson on throttle control counteracting understeer.
 That is, until the front end slid out and we landed in the ditch. He
 immediately began cursing himself. The only damage was to the recently
 primered front fender. We couldn't push it out, so we walked back to his
 house. As we came up his drive, his dad stopped the lawn mower and said,
 "You did it again, didn't you?" Turned out it happened on the same corner.
 (I didn't buy that TR6.)

 Months later, I found a TR6 in good condition that I wanted to buy.
 Original paint and no rust. All mechanicals checked out and test drive was
 good. Thought it over that night and called the next day to make my offer.
 The seller explained that TR6's tend to understeer and a potential buyer
 had wrecked it while test driving it an hour after I drove it. (I didn't
 buy that TR6.)>>

 Dave,

Did this happen near Pittsburgh, Pa in the 70's?  Your story reminds me of the
guy who was showing me how well his TR4 handled.  He went in to a turn way too
fast, and the car understeered itself right into a six inch curb.  Too much
damage to drive the car.  I ended up hitchhiking to my house, getting my
trailer, and hauling his car to the shop.  I don't remember his name, but it
sure sounds like the same guy:-)

Rich Rock
64 TR4
65 TR4A-IRS