Re: TR4 brake problem

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: TR4 brake problem
From: "Power British Performance Parts, Inc." <britcars@powerbritish.com>
Date: Sat, 03 Jan 1998 12:37:45 -0500
Art,

I haven't seen any more on the brake problem, and was curious how you were
making out.  Yesterday I remembered a similar situation we had a few years
back, although it was different in that the pedal felt normal on the first
pump and then went rock hard on subsequent pumps.  If left overnight, the
pedal would again be normal for the first pump the next morning.

We went through everything including taking all the calipers and wheel
cylinders off along with the master cylinder and finding nothing wrong with
any of them.  No change when we put everything back together.  Left us
scratching our heads for hours.

Finally started taking the hard lines off and ultimately found the pipe from
the master cylinder to the three way fitting was crimped in at the bend just
before the fitting in such a way as you couldn't tell just by looking at it
in the car.  In the morning, there was sufficient hydraulic pressure to
squeeze past the crimp and lock the brakes, but the crimp was preventing the
fluid from releasing the brakes so the next pump would be rock hard as the
brakes hadn't released from the first pump.  If allowed to sit for a few
hours, the pressure would eventually bleed past the crimp in the line and
again would work normally for just one pump.

May or may not be related to your problem, but you never know.  Hope it helps!

Good Luck!!!

Regards,

Brian Schlorff   '64 TR-4     '71 TR-6     '72 TR-6     '79 Spit
     Power British                             Check out Power British
    371 E. Main St.                                    on the 'Net!
Norristown, PA 19401
   (610) 270-0505                    www.powerbritish.com/~britcars