Dumbest grins...

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Dumbest grins...
From: vitesse@juno.com
Date: Sat, 3 Jan 1998 10:15:51 -0500
Wow I thought I was the only on e who had hidden stories about myself!

The second trans ( 1973) I ever rebuilt was for my TR6 after the thrust
washers let go and the engine torque took out the rear countershaft
bearing.  After replacing the countershaft and bearing, and putting it
all back together, the car wouldn't move when I engaged the clutch, just
stall.  After going through several troubleshooting steps, I pulled the
trans back out, and dismantled the trans again.  Found that I had put the
4th gear in backwards.  Moved it around and it worked great for 3 more
years till I sold the car.

Or how about dropping an engine, on my car?  I picked a 250 motor for a
friend and as I was unloading it from my truck and moving it into the
garage, I didn't lower the engine hoist first before swinging the engine
around.  The front wheel of the hoist.locked momentarily, long enough to
tip the engine over.  The motor hit the side of the 250 just behind the
door.  Nice dent about the size of a coffee cup. That was 1988...and
still isn't fixed.

Or there is the time I was replacing the trans rear seal in my everyday
driver chevy truck. I had parked the truck on the drive, had my head up
my a**, and undid the drive shaft, pop the drive shaft out of the
differential, and the truck started to roll backwards, towards my mid
section....amazing how fast you realize that you are about to get
crushed, the garage door is open , the 250 is sitting right there in
harms way,  and how am I going to get this heavy sucker stopped in time?
Whew!   The trailer was sitting in the drive behind the truck and it
stopped the rolling mass of destructive steel.  No harm done to
anything....except my pride.  Oh yeah, that was 1997!

Sometimes I think I'll just never learn!

Hope all had a great holiday season.

Hugh R. McAleer
Jonesboro, GA
'68 TR 250, owned since 1980