Re: TR3 front wings

To: ROBERT SUGGITT <rsuggitt@bmts.com>
Subject: Re: TR3 front wings
From: ron botting <rcb2@istar.ca>
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 1997 21:00:04 -0800
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
At 09:44 PM 11/23/97 -0800, you wrote:
>Before I spend hours this winter restoring my TR3A front fenders I thought
>I would check what replacement fenders might cost.  Does anyone know what
>the ballpark price is for a set of southern US fenders ?  I realize this
>depends on condition so lets assume surface rust but no holes. Are they
>readily available from wrecking yards or am I dreaming.
>
>Also, if I go the fix my own route are there any suggestions for how to
>repair the "flanges".  (the part visible with the hood up and used to bolt
>to the inner fender)  Mine are toast, but the rest of the fender is solid.
>
>Rob Suggitt
>Ontario (rust capital of the world)

Robert,

I believe that new fenders are quite expensive. I just manufactured new
flanges for my '57 3A last weekend. I had two (well actually (4), (2) spare
in case of error) rails bent up at a local sheet metal shop for a case of
beer. My rails measured 61" long.

I carefully drilled out the spot welds of the old flanges and used the
'Vertical' portion of the flange to trace the curvature or radius of the
flange onto a piece of 3/4" plywood, to fashion a form. I mounted my form
in a the vice, screwed the bottom mounting hole to the form with a drywall
screw, and hand formed each flange.

I used the old vertical sections to pattern new ones,(tricky lines). I
drilled the outside edged of the flanges every (2") & Plug welded the new
vertical sections to the rails with the MIG. Really pleased with the
results !!!!! Look Great.

This is only the first stage of my reconstruction. I now have to section in
new front sections from another pair of fenders which I have acquired. My
second set while having perfect form and radius in the forward section, are
'toast' rearward.

cut - splice - fiddle - fit

Now I have to contemplate 'MIG' welding on the new sections (which cannot
be planish) vs Gas Welding (possibly a better solution)

New Fenders ? Too easy !

Good Luck !

Ron Botting
Surrey, B.C. Canada