Re: Mk3 spitfire suspension upgrade

To: Jonathan Miles <MILESJE@novell2.bham.ac.uk>
Subject: Re: Mk3 spitfire suspension upgrade
From: Peter Lucas <pllj@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 1997 11:44:58 -0700
Cc: timm01@cs.soaks.kent.sch.uk, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Jonathane,

        Been there, done that!

        First-          you need a later model spring.
        Second-         (2) new half shafts. The later model Spits are a total
                                of 1" wider.
        Third-          Are you going to press those things yourself?
                                (Look up old thread $$$)
        Fourth-         You will most likely run into clearance problems.
                                The spring sits a little lower and the axles
stand
                                a little wider. Result-tires hit fenders.

If your willing to go through all that work, than you should replace
your shocks, diff mounts, bushings and u-joints as well. This ='s $$$
It is, however, the route I took on my '64 restoration and I didn't
notice much of a difference in handeling. A bit less roll but I think
that an anti roll bar would have given about the same increase in
performance. If I had to do it over again, I would have replaced the
shocks with a set of Konis, replaced the mounts, installed urathane
bushings, new u-joints and an Addco 5/8" anti roll bar. Good tires can
also make a big difference. Oh yea- If you need to replace your leaf
spring, I would suggest TRF over Vic Brit. Good luck!

PL '64 Spitfire