Re: J-Type Overdrive Problem

To: Brian Day <1briand@mail.airmail.net>
Subject: Re: J-Type Overdrive Problem
From: "Thomas A. Strange" <jantoms@vbe.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 1997 13:45:30 -0800
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Brian Day wrote:

> This past summer, >
> The transmission works great with one exception.  There is no lockout as
> there should be for 1st and 2nd gears.>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Brian Day
> '73 TR6
> CF 9167U
Brian,
  I am doing this from memory, so I'm sending it to the list also.  If I
am not correct, somebody please correct me......
  I believe the circuit is "hot" to the solenoid (or a solenoid relay)
thru 3 switches, your control switch, a speed "lockout" on the rear of
the trans & the gear selector lockout, then to ground.  Any of the three
switches can disconnect the power from the circuit, so all three have to
be closed to go into overdrive.
  The "gear lockout" on the J-type I believe is a switch mounted in the
top of your transmission that only closes when the shift mechanism is in
position for 3rd or 4th gear.
  I would check 1) to see that this switch is indeed in the trans.
2)that the switch is connected to your wiring harness & not bypassed
(your od shouldn't work without this switch closed, so if it is not in
the circuit, you may have shorted (or pinched) wires causing the problem
or it may have been intentionally bypassed by someone. 3) if the switch
is in place & wired, disconnect it, & check it with an ohm meter.  You
should have an open circuit when not in 3rd or 4th, & minimal resistance
when in gear. 4) if the switch is there & wired this brings you back to
looking for a short somewhere within the harness.
  Should you find someone has modified the wiring, you may also want to
check the "speed lockout" switch to see if it is okay.  (If you can by
any chance go into od under 30 mph, you may have two switches not
working.
  Hope this helps.
Tom Strange, Classic Autosports Ltd., Appleton, Wi., 920-733-5013