Re: spit ignition light

To: lewis mckillop <lsmc@lightspeed.net>
Subject: Re: spit ignition light
From: Zink <zink@pdq.net>
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 1997 09:20:23 -0600
Cc: spit <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
lewis mckillop wrote:

>     Hello all,
> The ignition light on my MkI spit stays on untill the rpm's get to
> around 2500. Is this a bad generator or maybe that voltage regulator
> thingymajigger mounted on the firewall.
> Thanks again,
> Lew 63 and 67 spit

Lew,
Use a multi tester or a voltmeter to test the output of your gen. at
idle,  it should read 12 volts, raise the engine speed and watch to see
if the voltage rise is steady or is sudden, if it is steady, ck to make
sure belt is ajusted properly, if it is, you may need check your
comutator brushes.  If the rise is sudden you might have a bad
regulator, or just fried points.  Fried points can be filed smooth with
a point file, but then you need to re-adjust the contacts.

As always this is JMO.

Larry Zink
1964 Spitfire4
Houston