Re: bmiht certificates

To: "p.bird" <p.bird@virgin.net>, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: bmiht certificates
From: Doug Mathews <tr3run@peachnet.campus.mci.net>
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 1997 07:13:22 -0500
I pulled this off the net...should answer the questions....

Re: British Motor Heritage Trust

From: "Glenn A. Merrell" <gmerrel@ix.netcom.com>
Subject: Re: British Motor Heritage Trust
Date: Sat, 06 Sep 1997 10:32:19 -0600

Next Article (by Date): Re: tyre query "Glenn A. Merrell"
Previous Article (by Date): Re: tyre query Ian Soady
Articles sorted by: [Date] [Author] [Subject]

AlphaJim1@aol.com wrote:
> I came across your message about the British Motor Heritage Trust and
what you >referred to as a your production certificate. Can you tell me the
addresses to >both of these places, British-Leyland and BMHT or tell me
where I can find them?

The BMIHT is at:
British Motor Industry Heritage Trust
Heritage Motor Centre
Banbury Road
Graydon
Warwick CV35 OBJ
(01926) 641188
(01926) 641555 facsimile
Attention: Anders Ditlev Clausager, Archivist

British Leyland was absorbed by Rover some years ago.  I do not know what
Rover can supply, but they are on my list for inquirys for technical
information if the BMIHT can not supply the technical notices.

>I think the production certificate is one item that I looking for my car.
What exactly is it?

        The Production Record Trace Certificate I received is a document
produced by the BMIHT by searching through the production information for
British vehicles.  It is produced on heavy gauge high quality grey paper
with a nice pattern blue border and gold seal at the top.  It is suitable
for framing.  The Certificate contains the production details for the
requested commission  number, such as:

- -Chassis number
- -Engine Number
- -Body numbers
- -Specification, (ie LHD/RHD Domestic/Export)
- -Color and trim details
- -Date Built
- -Date shipped
- -Destination (dealer)
- -Other numbers (like original key numbers)
- -Details of equipment (options)
- -Other information (that is located in the record, mine is blank here)

I recommend that you send a letter to the BMIHT with your commission number
and  other vehicle information.  For ease of payment, I included my charge
card number and expiration date, since foreign currency and foreign
checks/bank drafts may not be accepted.  If you are located near an
international airport currency exchange or bank that can issue a money
order in Pound Sterling, that may be an option.  However, I think that the
cost of the documents may vary by where it is to be mailed, and the amount
of effort to search the records.  Mine cost 25 Pound Sterling, which is
about $40 US, which seems to be about what others are paying.  Since the
BMIHT is a charity organization, their funding comes from contributions and
payments for inquiry's for information.

I have also requested any other copies of production documents that may
exist in the records, and the factory technical bulletins complete.  I am
waiting on a response to those requests.

Regards,
Glenn Merrell
73 MarkII Stag