Ignition Adjustment

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Ignition Adjustment
From: Trevor Jordan <tjordan@pa.ausom.net.au>
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 1997 18:00:17 +1100
Over the weekend, an old friend was telling me how he set the timing on his
cars.

1. Run the car to normal operating temperature etc and shut the engine down.

2. Short the odd (or even) plugs to ground with some wire.

3. Leave the distributor in its normal condition with vacuum lines etc
attached.

3. Start the car and prop the throttle open to a typical operating range eg
1500 to 2500 rpm.

4. Adjust the timing to maximize the revs.

The theory is that the dead cylinders act as a load on the live cylinders
creating a dynamometer effect.  The timing is then adjusted for maximum
power output at that throttle setting.

He tells me that he has used it on both 4 and 6 cylinder motors, but it is
a new method to me and I would be interested in comments.

Trevor Jordan
74 TR6 CF29281U