Re: Reinforcements for TR6 differential mounts

To: oehrle@cadence.com, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Reinforcements for TR6 differential mounts
From: dstauffa@csc.com
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 1997 15:38:17 -0800
Gary,

I just did this to my TR6.  I had the body off the frame so it was easy to
perform the welding.  You only have to worry about the rear two
differential mounts.  Yes, just box these two in using 4 plates.  Before
begining this repair your current crack!  Boxing alone won't help if you
already have a crack.  I saw no need for a plate with a bolt hole in it.
If your studs are not aligned properly, you can heat the unit and
straighten it out before boxing it in.

Hope this helps.

Dave,
San Diego
1970 TR6 PI RHD CP51649
 _______________________________________
|   ___  __      _ _  _  _  __          |
|    |   |_\  |  | |  |\/|  |_\  |_|    |
|    |   |\   |  |_|  |  |  |    | |    |
|_______________________________________|
   \                                 /
    \   I  N  J  E  C  T  I  O  N   /
     \_____________________________/

A recent tech session with my '74 TR6 revealed one
of the mounts had a crack from the edge to the bolt
hole  TRF no longer sells the reinforment kit not
that it matters since it is rather simple but I was
wondering about the extent of the fix needed.
The TRF blue book shows the fix for the front support
but mine is the back right which is weakened.
Given there are four U shaped brackets and the fix is
to insert a plate into the side and weld, does this have
to be on all four, both sides and what about a plate where
the bolt goes thru?

       |  |             |  |
    -->|  | <--      -->|  |<--  Front set

   Isn't just the inside and bottom of the back two

Gary Oehrle
oehrle@cadence.com
408-450-6521