Re: TR6 question

To: MMDBR@aol.com
Subject: Re: TR6 question
From: thomas jester <triumph@horizon.hit.net>
Date: Sun, 23 Nov 1997 09:38:42 -0600
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
MMDBR@aol.com wrote:

> Hello fellow listers:
>
> My friend and TR3-4 mentor has purchased a `72 TR6 which has a problem he
> can't get on top of. The car car starts easily and runs perfectly at idle,
> but the warmer it gets, the worse it runs. When fully warm, it sputters,
> coughs, backfires, etc.
>
> Carbs have been adjusted, ignition seems correct. His next stab will be at
> the emissions system.
>
> Anybody out there run into this? Any and all input greatly appreciated.
>
> Mike Blonder
> Elmhurst, IL
> 63 TR4 (runs smooth, though a little thirsty, knock wood)

I had this same problem on a '74 TR6.  The DPO had rebuilt the carbs and
tried to bypass some of the emission control.  What he actually did was
plug off the bowl vents on both carbs.  I behaved EXACTLY as you
describe
until I removed the plugs from the bowl vents and reintalled the proper
vacuum line.  The problem never returned.  BTW....it took about 1 week
and 3 six-packs of BASS ALE to sort that one out!

Try it and let me know how you make out.

Regards,

Chad Jester