Re: Well....it runs (sorta) (compressor redux)

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Well....it runs (sorta) (compressor redux)
From: tomomalley@hey.net (Tom O'Malley)
Date: Sun, 23 Nov 1997 01:41:13 GMT
Chris writes:

>I thought that since the original 3 phase motor was a 1 hp, I could go with a 1
> hp single phase.

Yup...sounds reasonable to me.

Regarding the motor wiring:  Any chance yours is a duel voltage motor?
Does the name plate make any mention of wiring for high or low
voltage?

How the feed wiring itself?  Are you using 14 gauge or larger?

Is the new motor the same rpm as the old one?
How 'bout the pulley size?

Three phase motors don't require start windings, but often single
phase designs do.  A typical arrangement includes an internal
centrifugal switch.  This needs to hit a minimum RPM to drop out the
start winding and engage the run winding otherwise it will overheat.

Not likely this is your problem as you've managed to get it running
without load,  but I suppose anything's possible.

Cheers!

Tom O'Malley
'74, '77 Spits <with superior gauges>