Re: Purchasing parts via Digest

To: vicwhit@octonline.com, grantura@agate.net, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Purchasing parts via Digest
From: EPaul21988@aol.com
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 1997 20:55:29 -0500 (EST)
In a message dated 97-11-14 08:59:44 EST, vicwhit@octonline.com writes:

<< bought some carbs from Isaac Crow in Georgia a couple of months back. The
 arrangements that we made were: I sent money order to him, when he received
 it he sent the goods, I received the goods, everyone was happy. Thanks
 Isaac. I think that most people on this list are here because they have
 interest in LBCs, not to rip people off.
 Then again, for $500 I might be a little more concerned. It might be worth
 the cost/hassle of COD.

 ----------
 > From: Randy Clark <grantura@agate.net>
 > To: triumphs@autox.team.net
 > Subject: Purchasing parts via Digest
 > Date: Thursday, November 13, 1997 10:58 PM
 >
 > I'm negotiating with a fellow "lister" concerning the purchase of some TR
 > parts that he has. I'm wondering what other folks have done about the
 actual
 > transfer of payment and shipment goods in situations like this..
 >
 > Say the item is $500, and I'm the buyer...am I supposed to send a perfect
 > stranger $500 and just keep my fingers crossed that he isn't some sort of
 > rip off artist, or that when I get the stuff that it isn't just a bunch
 of
 > trash? How have others dealt with this situation?
 >
 > How does COD work... I understand that when you recieve something COD
 From
 > UPS that they won't let you open the package until you've paid for it?
 >
 > Would be interested in some feed back, and or horror stories. Is there
 any
 > way to complete these purchases without either party taking on all the
 risk?
 > Randy Clark
 > Dresden ME

Ive been on both ends of the sale. Bought parts and sold parts.  When I've
bought I've always paid up front and had no problems getting what I bought.
 Selling has been another matter for me.  I used to ask for 1/2 up front and
the other half on delivery. a sharing of trust.  That was OK until I got
stuck for a couple of hundred on a shipment.  No response after delivery.  No
complaints. No answer to E-Mails.  No nada. I offered negotiation if
dissatisfied, no answer. I guess the temptation to take advantage was too
great.  So what?  I won't offer that temptation again,  no more sharing risk
for me.

Bob Paul
Corrales NM