Re: TR6 Gas Pump Valves

To: Craig Bentley <MMBENT@classic.msn.com>
Subject: Re: TR6 Gas Pump Valves
From: scott suhring <suhring@lancnews.infi.net>
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 1997 20:15:25 -0800
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Craig Bentley wrote:

> []  Scott I don't know where you got your rebuild kit from but mine was an
> original "A.C." brand kit that I got from TRF. The replacement valves looked
> exactly like the old ones that I took out. On my fuel pump body there were I
> believe six indentations per hole stamped into the body. This is what made the
> valves so hard to get out. I modified my socket by grinding the inner and
> outer side walls so that it would fit into the holes all the way to the
> bottom. I had to grind a slight amount off the inner sidewalls to clear the
> raised portion of the check valve. Have you tried to measure the size of the
> old valves compared to the new valves? If they're different then you have
> found your problem. If they're the same size you might have to enlarge your
> hole a little bit to relieve the stamped in indentations that are on the body.
> These are supposedly what holds the valves in place although as tight of a fit
> as they are I kind of wonder if they're needed. Let me know how you make out.
> Regards   Craig

Craig:

The kit I got was also an AC Delco kit. Plan on measuring tonight. I
didn't
notice any indentations, but wasn't looking for any either. Did you use
Dremel (sp?) to grind the inside of the holes of the fuel pump?
Intersting,
I spoke to an AC Delco rep (found their 800 number in the yellow pages)
today
trying to buy just the valves so I could have some extra to play with
(destroy)
and he indicated they make no parts for fuel pumps!?! Am I contacting
the
wrong company or was the guy just being lazy in looking up their
product?

Thanks for the advice, will keep working at it.

Ed, I hope you see this post. I'll be sending another one your way.

Scott Suhring
Elizabethtown, PA
'70 TR6