Re: 63 spit dash support?

To: lewis mckillop <lsmc@lightspeed.net>
Subject: Re: 63 spit dash support?
From: Joe Curry <curry@wolfenet.com>
Date: Sat, 08 Nov 1997 18:35:14 -0800
Cc: spit <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
lewis mckillop wrote:

>     Hello again,
> I found two padded metal bars in the trunk of my spit. One has the
> odometer trip reset cable still attached to it. It looks like these go
> under the dash on each side (horizontally). I have never heard these
> baces? mentioned befor. Does anyone have any idea what i am talking
> about.....(wife is laughing wildly now)....
> thanks once agian,
> Lew 63 and 67 spit

Lew,
I too am laughing wildly.  You are correct.  All Early Spits (till the
70 Mk3 with the new type Dash, have map pockets on both sides of the
centet instrument cluster.  Yes, the padded braces attach to the center
Brace (Dash to floor) and the Upper "A" post on the outside.  The
cardboard map pockets attach to the braces.

I am somewhat confused, however, by the still-attached trip reset
cable.  As you indicated in an earlier message, the reset is supposed to
attach to the triangular piece to the right of the steering column.

I hope that helps clear up the question.

Regards,
Joe Curry   '63 Spit

PS The later model Spits also have the padded brackets, only they are
shaped different and only one goes under a map pocket.