Re: More on ATF in the petrol(not as much LBC content as usual)

To: Zink <zink@pdq.net>
Subject: Re: More on ATF in the petrol(not as much LBC content as usual)
From: Rod Randle <randle@concentric.net>
Date: Fri, 07 Nov 1997 23:59:57 -0800
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
stu.jo@ibm.net wrote:

> Zink wrote:
> >
> > Bruce T. Clough wrote:
> > >
> > > Along this same line,
> > >
> > > The engine in our 61 Chrysler Newport (361ci V8) is very dirty inside.
> > > I'd
> > > guess non-detergent oil was used most of its life (although it has
> > > detergent
> > > oil in it now).  I asked a local parts vendor about using a motor
> > > flush to
> > > clean it out.  His response was "don't do it or you'll have to rebuild
> > > the
> > > engine".  I've flushed TR engines before without harm, but they
> > > weren't
> > > quite this dirty.
> > >
> > > So, is using ATF to do the flushing a gentler was to do this, or am I
> > > asking
> > > for the same trouble?  Or will it cause trouble at all?  I've heard
> > > the same
> > > stories about putting detergent oil in cars that ran with
> > > non-detergent oil.
> > > I am not shy about trying something with a good chance of success,
> > > just don't
> > > want to trash the engine yet.
> > >
> > > What's the experience base out there say to this one?
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > >
> > > Bruce Clough
> > > clough@batman.flight.wpafb.af.mil  ...or...  clough@erinet.com
> > > All them little TRs
> > > All them big Detroit boats
> >
> > Bruce,
> > Try using a diesle engine oil, they are higher in deyergants than auto
> > engine oil.  Run for 500 miles and do a complete oil change including
> > filter.  We used to do this when I was working in a real service station
> > back in the "old days",1970-1972.
> >
> > I've seen it clean up some pretty dirty engines, of course if you want
> > to use synthetic oil you can acheive the same results, it just cost more
> > for the oil.
> >
> > Larry Zink
> > 1964 Spitfire4
> > Houston
>
> IMHO, putting a high detergent asdditive in a dirty engine can have
> disastroous affects.This is because the detergent piocks up a lot of
> sludge and deposits it in critical oilways. I speak from experience,
> having done this to a 1956 Ford Zephyr in the UK back in the early 60's
> when some new oil came out that was going to do all kinds of wonderful
> things to keep your engine clean

I added one cup of diesel to my oil in a 68 Oldsmobile.  The results
were a disaster.  I ended up with 2 collapsed lifters.  I was broke at
the time so my fix was sacrilegious to any auto buff.  I used a hack saw
to cut off 1/2" off the lifter tower.  This took the slack out of the
lifter and the engine ran fine.  I know I should have all my tools taken
away.  I promise I'll never do it again!

Rod Randle
Shoreline, WA
'78 Spit FM77880U