More on ATF in the petrol(not as much LBC content as usual)

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: More on ATF in the petrol(not as much LBC content as usual)
From: cloughbt@batman.flight.wpafb.af.mil (Bruce T. Clough)
Date: Wed, 5 Nov 1997 08:04:32 -0500
Along this same line,

The engine in our 61 Chrysler Newport (361ci V8) is very dirty inside.  I'd
guess non-detergent oil was used most of its life (although it has detergent
oil in it now).  I asked a local parts vendor about using a motor flush to
clean it out.  His response was "don't do it or you'll have to rebuild the
engine".  I've flushed TR engines before without harm, but they weren't
quite this dirty.

So, is using ATF to do the flushing a gentler was to do this, or am I asking
for the same trouble?  Or will it cause trouble at all?  I've heard the same
stories about putting detergent oil in cars that ran with non-detergent oil.
I am not shy about trying something with a good chance of success, just don't
want to trash the engine yet.

What's the experience base out there say to this one?

Thanks,

Bruce Clough
clough@batman.flight.wpafb.af.mil  ...or...  clough@erinet.com
All them little TRs