Re: Sand(Bead)blasting Questions

To: jmwagner@greenheart.com
Subject: Re: Sand(Bead)blasting Questions
From: suchak@mediaone.net
Date: Tue, 04 Nov 1997 08:55:29 -0500
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Justin Wagner wrote:

> Why not spend $20.00 on 3 mil 20' x 20' plastic sheeting... lay it
> out... and RECOVER your media?   800 lbs?????  Where'd it go?   :)  Just
> wondering.
>
> Justin

Hey Justin,

In theory your idea sounds good, and was my plan at first..  However,
there were a couple of problems I encountered when trying to recover and
reuse.  First off, the sand doesn't just hit the surface you're
blasting  and fall to the ground, instead it bounces all over the
place.  You'd need an awfully big tarp.  Then there's the hassle of
having to strain it to remove the big chunks of body putty that are
blasted loose that would otherwise clog up the feed hose.  Also, it
seemed like the dust was 10 times worse when I reused the sand, I assume
that some of the sand is powdered to a certain extent the first time
thru the gun.  If you've ever sand blasted you'll know how bad the dust
really is...

I also had some reservations about blasting all of the fine oxidized
metal residue BACK onto freshly blasted metal.  Seemed sort of counter
productive, and at just a couple of bucks a bag for sand, unnecessary.
I just blew the stuff out the garage door into my sandy driveway (I live
in Florida where the soil is 75% sand anyway.)

Regards,

John

--
Come see us on the Web!