Re: tranny, diff, and oil pan drain plugs - answer

To: Dave Terrick <dterrick@pangea.ca>
Subject: Re: tranny, diff, and oil pan drain plugs - answer
From: Ken Streeter <streeter@sanders.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 1997 14:09:27 -0500
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Dave Terrick wrote:

> Second option is a 12 point (triple square) socket.  These
> are most comonly found in the cheapie socket sets.  They have
> 12 indentations which, of course, corresponds to 3 sets of squares.

Is that really the case?  Can one get a 12-point "triple
square" socket?  All of the 12-point sockets I've seen
were actually "double hex" sockets, corresponding to 2 sets
of hexagons (hexes).

Does this matter, you ask?  Well, yes, because the corners of
the square are each 90 degrees, while the corners of the hex
socket would each be 120 degrees.  If the 12-point socket
is really "double hex" rather than "triple square" then it
will want to round off square nuts or bolts.

I maintain that the normal 12-point sockets like I have in
my cheapie socket sets must be "double hex," rather than
"triple square," since they otherwise wouldn't fit on a
hex nut, because the 120-degree corner of the nut wouldn't
fit into the 90-degree point of the "triple square"
12-point socket.

Of course, the 90-degree corner of a square nut does fit
into the 120-degree point of the "double hex" 12-point
socket, but wants to round it off, since the flat of the
nut doesn't align properly with the short flat of the socket.
This is why it's not a good idea to use a 12-point socket
on a square bolt, even though it will fit.  The 12-point
socket may be marginally better than an open-end wrench, but
only barely, in my experience -- I'd suggest sticking with
an 8-point socket, unless you can find a 4-point one, which
would be even better!

--ken

--
Kenneth B. Streeter         | EMAIL: streeter@sanders.com