Re: VTR & VINs, Hoover, and the Registry

To: streeter@sanders.com
Subject: Re: VTR & VINs, Hoover, and the Registry
From: Joe Curry <curry@wolfenet.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 1997 12:06:37 -0800
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net, WFDaehle@mail.delcoelect.com, Chris_Lillja@Pupress.Princeton.Edu, Richard_Ceraldi-ERC004@email.mot.com, vtr-admin@Autox.Team.Net
Ken Streeter wrote:

> >From the desk of Ken Streeter...
>
> This morning two topics have come up relating to the
> Vintage Triumph Register (VTR):
>
>   1)  VTR's involvement with Joe Curry's request to put
>       together a Spitfire database.
>
>   2)  VTR's practice of giving VTR membership names and
>       addresses to local VTR "zones" for purposes of
>       meeting requirements for becoming a VTR "chapter."

Ken,
Thanks for the lengthy reply and explanation.  I certainly had no
intention of being antagonistic, rather I simply am trying to forward an
effort to do something that is sorely needing to be done.  (And solely
at my own expense, as I am receiving and don't ever expect to receive
any compensation for the time and material expended on this project.)

You, by your expalanation that the VTR is a voluntary effort, can
understand that.
My only concern is that in trying to do this, it seems that my efforts
are being thwarted by people who have the information at hand, but for
whatever reason are reluctant to turn loose of it.  My assurances that
there is no commercial intent and that I will not publish more than the
City address are apparantly not enough to satisfy those individuals'
concerns. (I won't argue that those concerns are legitimate).

At any rate, I feel that Names and City locations are very important to
the legitimacy of the data and are necessary fo fulfill the intent of
the project.  With the information, viewers will be able to see where
the Spitfires are that were manufactured around the same time as theirs,
etc.

Without that pertinent information, all one would be able to determine
is, "Oh yeah there appears to be 45,000 or so of the over 314,000
Spitfires remaining".  I want it to be more relevant than that.  But
maybe I'm only fooling myself.

Finally,  if I am not going to be able to get VTR to provide that
information, maybe you can provide in your web site and newsletters, a
request that those who wish that information to be included can respond
directly to me.  That way VTR can not be held responsible for the
information.

I hope I have satisfactorily stated my case.  I welcome any suggestions,
comments and recommendations you can provide.  This project is
worthwhile.

Best regards,

Joe Curry