Re: TR6 Electrical Question

To: "Kohout, Robert" <kohout@jbc.js.mil>
Subject: Re: TR6 Electrical Question
From: stu.jo@ibm.net
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 1997 14:14:37 -0700
Cc: "'bunce@alma.edu'" <bunce@alma.edu>, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Kohout, Robert wrote:

> Bob,
>
> I agree with Mark, particularly regarding the heat soaking of the
> starter.  My 72 TR-6 had the same problem you described.  I replaced the
> battery which did not solve the problem.  I finally replaced the starter
> with a TRF rebuilt which solved the hard starting (if it started) when
> hot.  I was always afraid the car would stall in stop and go traffic
> which I am positive would have endeared me to thousands of happy
> commuters.
>
> Robert
> 72 TR-6
>
> > >Bob,
> > >
> > >You wrote "The car starts strong every time, except after it's been
> > run,,,
> >

> > Bob,
> > If the engine has high miles and alot of carbon, the increase in hot
> > compression
> > will cause this, also if the starter is weak it will heat soak and
> > turn
> > slowly if at all.
> >
> > Mark
> > Spit 1970 MKlll  "I will get it out next summer"

     I had the same problem with a Mustang and it was a new battery that
failed under load. I would go back to where you got the battery and have
them load test it hot before I went any farther. I also had a starter
problem where when it got hot the armature was shorting against the
case, or something like that. Stu