Re: MMO and Emmisions

To: Gregory Petrolati <gpetrola@prairienet.org>
Subject: Re: MMO and Emmisions
From: "Jack I. Brooks" <brooks@belcotech.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 1997 11:56:44 -0400
Cc: burdekij@bvsd.k12.co.us, Triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
>> >Well folks, the GT6 failed emmissions again here in Colorado.  What would
>> >make it passable (under 1000 hydrocarbons) at 2500 rpms, and fail at idle
>> >(923ish rpms)?  I changed the spark plugs, and oil, added a quart of
>> >marvel mystery oil, and blew out the air filters.  I would have had new
>> >air filters but the parts place is having operator error problems.  If
>> >anyone has any suggestions let me know.  Thanks, Jane
>>
>> Jane and others,
>>
>       Maybe you could set the car to run lean for the test  (Mechanical
>       engineers, whadiya think)? Then reset the mix after... But, that...
>       would be dishonest... and we wouldn't advise you to do anything like
>       that... Would we?:)
>

>gpetrola@prairienet.org                         1962 TR4 (CT4852L)
>       "That's not a leak... My car is just marking its territory!"
>Greg Petrolati, Champaign, Illinois

Greg, Jane, et. al,

I'm considering just that, leaning out the carbs, for my TR3A if it doesn't
pass the NJ DMV Inspection I need to get done before the end of October.  It
was really lean last year and it passed, but it runs much better-richer.
I'll try it the way it is now, but if it doesn't pass, I'll be leaning them out.

The thought of a quart of essentially "ZERO Weight" Marvel Mystery Oil in
the  crankcase still seems like a possibility to me.  I've used MMO as a
cleaner, for 500-1,000 miles at a clip, but never as part of my normal
lubrication.  It's just really thin, and I've always considered it to be
mostly a detergent/penetrating oil, great for disolving and cleaning out the
accumulated GUNK in the oil system.

JMHO,

Jack