Re: Nasty Chemicals

To: walker05@camosun.bc.ca
Subject: Re: Nasty Chemicals
From: Certvettec@aol.com
Date: Sat, 18 Oct 1997 00:02:14 -0400 (EDT)
Cc: Triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Malcolm:
As a Board Certified Veterinary Technician specializing in emergency/trauma
cases, I have seen my share of antifreeze toxicity. Antifreeze (ethylene
glycol) is sweet smelling and tasting, and as such is irresistible to most
animals.

Toxic level in dogs is 6.6 ml/kg, and only 1.5 ml/kg in cats. In other words,
a mere tablespoon of antifreeze is toxic to a 9 lb. cat. Without getting into
a lengthy explanation of the mechanism of the toxicity, I will tell you that
the problem occurs when the kidneys attempt to filter out and eliminate the
crystalline substance.  It literally tears up the kidney resulting in renal
failure.

Cases of antifreeze toxicity are very difficult to treat, and death due to
acute renal failure is agonizing.

I applaud your concern and sensitivity in dealing with the disposal of this
very toxic substance.

The Department of Health can usually direct you as to where such chemicals
can be deposited for safe disposal.

Thanks for your intelligent concern.

Keith Freeouf:  Certvettec@aol.com
1969 TR6