Re: Nasty Chemicals

To: ecopaige@metro.net
Subject: Re: Nasty Chemicals
From: ingate@shiseis.com (Shane F. Ingate)
Date: Fri, 17 Oct 97 15:30:58 PDT
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Deano,
Dean Paige wrote:
        <big snip>
        > Best bet. Don't degrease at home! You're asking for trouble.

Deano,
        Thanks for a truely valuable lesson on this toxic stuff.  Lord
knows that the average enthusiast pollutes more when the car is not
running! ;)

        When I brought "Rags" home for the first time, ans looked at
the engine with some 17 years of baked on filth, I took out several
rolls of shop towels (the blue towels), Simple Green and several toothbushes.
I then spent a very long weekend wiping the engine clean by spraying a
solution of the Simple Green onto the shop towel and removing the old
deposits.  I used the toothbrush for hard to reach places.  This was
hell on my fingertips, and they were sore for days!  Nevertheless, the
result was an engine bay that was cleaner than any pressure wash/steam
clean could have done, and I was VERY familiar with the engine, noting
what had to be replaced, what was where, etc.  Nowadays all that is
required is 5 mins with a clean rag, even after the longest run.

        I disposed of the dirty shop towels (at least 1 rolls-worth) at the
local hazardous-waste recycling area.  I dont know how the towels would be
recyled, but there was an area for such stuff.

        > If no other options is available I reluctantly reccommend
        > pouring it down your toilet.

        This is illegal in San Diego County, so I would suggest that folk
check with their local county rules.

        Thank you!

        Shane Ingate in San Diego