Re: 63 spit top

To: lewis mckillop <lsmc@lightspeed.net>
Subject: Re: 63 spit top
From: Odd Hedberg <odd@triumphclub.se>
Date: Sat, 11 Oct 1997 10:28:54 +0200
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Hi Lewis (and the rest of You gang...),

The Spitfire 4 (aka Mk1) was introduced in October of '62. They
had made ~1524 of them when the Year ended. All of them with only
the detachable stick and canvas type soft tops. In September of
'63 the two options of Hardtop and Overdrive was added to the list
of optional extras, for customers ordering their cars in Britain.
They probably didn't take delivery of the cars until late in '63
or possibly early '64. At the end of '63 the Comm No was FC22664,
so there You have it. What's Your Comm No?

And, Yes it's easy to have a Mk1 fitted with a hardtop and the
softtop (original style!) stowed in the car. This as the Mk1 (and
the Mk2) had their soft tops stowed in the trunk (sticks) and
behind the rear trim panel (hood material). On the Mk3 (and later
cars) it is also possible to have this combination, but only with
the proper hardtops. The Mk1/Mk2 type uses another fastening hard-
ware compared to the Mk3 ones. And they cannot be easily substituted
for each other. The MkIV/1500 hardtop is another steel pressing
and design... And connot be put on an earlier Mk car.
Yours
/Odd

--
Odd Hedberg