Re: New owner 77 Spit

To: NewYorkie@aol.com, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: New owner 77 Spit
From: "Jonathan Miles" <MILESJE@novell2.bham.ac.uk>
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 1997 13:56:31
> As a project for myself and 11 year old son just purchased a 77 Spit. Overall
> in good condition needs minor body and mechanical work and a new interior.
> When we removed the seats we found in the drivers seat cushion a 4 inch round
> pressure switch wired to car. Have not traced wire yet. Is this a common part
> and if so what is its function?

vaguely, it's wired such that if someone is sitting in the car a
warning light on the dash comes on and tells you to fasten you're
seat belt.  I believe its a bit more sophisticated on U.S models
(There may be a warning buzzer aswell)

>  Also and please excuse my lack of knowledge of Triumphs, why does the
> carburator need oil added to the dashpot? Never saw an american carburator
> need this?
>  Also I have learned  volumes just in the week I have been reading your Mail.
> Thanks to all.

Again, I'm not an expert but you need oil in variable jet carbs that
have no accelerator pump. The viscosity of the oil as a small piston
moves through it causes a delay in the movement of the metering
needle in its jet when you snap open the throttle. This causes a
momentarily stronger fuel mixture , ensuring a good pickup, and no
"deadspot". It works something like that anyway!

Jonathan

'77 spitfire 1500

*************************************
Dr J.E.Miles