Re: Mexican Standoff

To: Chris Lillja <Chris_Lillja@Pupress.Princeton.Edu>
Subject: Re: Mexican Standoff
From: "Mark S. Lepore, MD" <Sirmoog@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 1997 12:20:02 -0400
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Chris Lillja wrote:

> How do folks out there handle selling parts over the net? I've
> recently listed my Spitfire parts on the VTR website and the response
> has been pretty good.
>
> ...but once a person has expressed interest, how can parts be
> exchanged for money without someones rear end hanging out?

Actually, Chris, the best way, in my experience, is to do business
C.O.D.  No trust is required.  You ship, they receive and pay, then you
get paid.  If they don't accept, you'll get the package returned to you.

> Is it reasonable to make the buyer pay for shipping?
Yes.  I often will have the buyer pay for shipping and COD charges,
although this, like everything in life, is often negotiable.  If you
feel queasy about it, split shipping charges 50%

Is it reasonable
> not to split up a pair of something - like seats?

I don't know.  Do what you like.  I personally would split up things,
seats especially, since in the used market only one of something is
often required.

Sirmoog
'71 TR6
PS - I haven't done any internet business with car parts, but have done
a few transactions in musical instruments and equipment.