Re: TR4 clutch

To: shepbs@ponyexpress.net
Subject: Re: TR4 clutch
From: ArthurK101@aol.com
Date: Mon, 30 Jun 1997 18:46:24 -0400 (EDT)
Cc: ArthurK101@aol.com

>  am having a problem wherein the clutch delays releasing on my TR4, the
>  hesitation causes it to delay moving for 5 to 20 seconds.  I believe that
>  the problem is somewhere in the hydrolic system, but I don't know if its
>  old lines, master cylinder, adjustment, or something else.  I would
greatly
>  appreciate any guidence that you could give me.   Thanks, Bob.

Bob, you're in luck.  I had the same problem.  Drove me nuts.  Finally I took
it to a local mechanic.  He looked at it, stuck his hand into the engine
compartment, stood up, smiled and said " Simple, the hose between the master
and slave cylinders is bad."

  The hose deteriorates and was wet with fluid.  What happens is that it
collapses internally and restricts the flow.  This causes the clutch to
engage slowly.  I had been compensating by waiting to apply gas after
releasing the clutch pedal.  Dumb!
I ordered a new hose from TRF (or Moss or VB).  Less than 20 bucks and solved
the problem.

Try it - check for wetness and then squeeze the hose.  If it is wet and/or
squishy then that is probably the problem.   Let me know.  Cheers.

Art Kelly '64TR4 CT33118L  (original owner)
VTR TR4 vehicle consultant