New Old TR4A

To: "'Triumph'" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: New Old TR4A
From: "Peter J. Thomas" <pjthomas@snet.net>
Date: Sun, 29 Jun 1997 13:16:19 -0400
Hello triumph enthusiasts,

I originally sent the message to trumph-owner@auto.team.net.  I used MS
exchange to add to my personal address book.  I apologize for any inconvenience.

Last Sunday, my lovely, beautiful, generous wife and I were driving around town
when we passed an estate sale.  It was in a lovely old colonial.  Since I knew
one of the previous owners of the house I convinced my wife to stop, just to
see this nice house.  Lots of nice, expensive furniture AND a 1966 Triumph TR4A
IRS.  Monday, I picked up my early birthday/anniversary/Christmas/... present.
Actually, I think my wife wanted it more than I did.

The car was registered by the previous owner, so I assume he considered it road
worthy.  Unfortunately, we bought the car through the owners friend, so I was
unable to talk with the previous owner when I purchased the car. Since then, I
briefly spoke with the original owner.  He bought the car in 1992 and has had
it registered since then.

The car was originally green, but is now poorly painted white with a wide red
stripe.  The top looks like it was replaced fairly recently.  The door panels
and the seats have new vinyl. It also came with a half-installed carpet set and
a box marked "New Boot Cover".  Both the carpets and the vinyl are from Moss.

The body's in good shape, peeling paint, some rust but no rot.  There are signs
of some previous repairs to the finish, little rectangular patches.  The
suspension and steering needs work.  There is a clank coming from the read end.
 I think it needs new u-joints. It could also use some brake work.  The engine
starts fine but runs a little warm.  Some of the hoses need replacing.  The
dash is crumbling.  One door latch needs repairs/replacing.

The car needs a bit of work before it be considered road worthy.  Saturday, I
cleared a bay in the garage and moved it in for repairs.  It's now on jack
stands.  One thing I noticed.  When on the ground, the gaps between the door
and the body panels seems a little tight.  On the stands these gaps have opened
about a 1/4".  Is the cause for concern?  Also, where are best points to place
the jack stands?

I also sanded the rust spots and hit them with some prime as at temporary stop
gap measure.  The feathered edges revealed three colors.  The current white,
what looks like the original green, and then a reddish color.  Did Triumph use
a red primer?

Well Where can I find literature on the TR4A?  I'm interested in owner's and
shop manuals.  Also, any good books on the history of Triumph?  called moss and
ordered a catalog.  Are there any other catalogs I should get?

Thanks for listening.

Peter J. Thomas
CTC 66803 LO