soft top window care

To: "'TR6 List'" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: soft top window care
From: Peter Zaborski <peterz@merak.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 1997 11:25:52 -0600
While searching for the proper container of gear oil for my much
maligned trunnions (now that I have the proper grease gun to inject them
with oil) I came accross the elusive Meguiar's Mirror Glaze products
which I could not find in local auto supply stores. This is the stuff I
used to use to clean and polish my soft top windows to remove most of
the small scratches which seem to accumulate on them with use.

If you are having trouble locating this stuff (the US readers may not
relate to this since most of the large US auto parts stores seem to
always have _everything_ in stock), try a local boat shop which sells
big power boats. Apparently Meguiar's is still used by boat owners to
keep their plastic windows in good shape.

For those wondering what the connection with trunnions is, there is a
grease gun made by Mercury Marine which can be used to inject oil into
grease nipples. Since my trunnions need some lube and Triumph recommends
using gear oil instead of grease, I went to a boat shop to buy the gun
and found the cleaning stuff there as well. Apologies to those on the
list who are not in agreement with the oil vs grease issue... :-)

Peter Zaborski
76 TR6 (CF58310 UO)
Calgary AB Canada

PS. No the dry trunnions are not preventing me from driving my car any
farther than just around the block. :-)