Re: My Car Won't Start !!

To: Sirmoog@ix.netcom.com, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: My Car Won't Start !!
From: DANMAS@aol.com
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 1997 21:42:58 -0400 (EDT)
In a message dated 97-06-20 21:19:31 EDT, Sirmoog@ix.netcom.com (Mark S.
Lepore, M.D.) writes:

> Help !!
>  My car won't start !!  It is a 1971 TR6.
>  All of a sudden last pm, it started to turn over, and then went dead.  I
>  am not able to jump start it, but I can "pop" start it in first.  When
>  it is running via the "pop start" method, it works fine, even all the
>  electricals.  But when I shut it off and try to restart it, it is like
>  there is not battery in it at all!!
>  What could be the problem?  Why won't it jumpstart?
>  Please reply ASAP.  Lots of problems in just my first week of ownership.
>  Mark
>
>  PS - Please hurry.  It is stuck outside, and has no windows.  I fear
>  thunderstorms...

Mark:

Real quick answer, without a lot of thought, but you are in a hurry.

1) Battery could be nearly dead. When the engine is running, the alternator
is supplying power. It takes a lot less power from the battery to run than it
does to turn the starter. But you said you couldn't jump start it, so that
rules this out.

2)  The starter solenoid could be bad. Jumper from the (+) side of the
battery to the terminal on the starter where the White/Red wire is attached
(don't need to disconnect the wire). The starter should turn over. If nothing
happens, either the solenoid is bad or you are not getting power to the "big"
lug on the starter, fed directly from the battery. If you are getting power,
then the solenoid is bad. If you hear a loud "clunk," but the starter doesn't
spin, the solenoid is OK, but the starter is bad.

3) If test 2 works ie, the car starts, then you may have a bad connection
from the starter switch to the solenoid. With a VOM or a test light, check
for voltage at the Red/White wire on the solenoid while trying to start. If
you don't get voltage, check at the back of the switch. If you have voltage
here when in the start position, then the wire is broken somewhere. If you
don't, then the switch is bad.

I hope this helps. If I think of anything else, I'll e-mail you.

Dan Masters,
Alcoa, TN

'68 MGBGT---organ donor for the '74