Da Teamsters! + packing tips

To: "Triumph List" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Da Teamsters! + packing tips
From: "Jesse Mullan" <jmullan@doubt.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 1997 01:56:31 -0500charset="iso-8859-1"
>I would suggest taking time and some $ to package the fenders extensively.
 Thay
>is, reinforce the length and width with plywood pieces or 1x4s..then make
a box
>of 1" styrofoam insulation board, put together with strapping tape, and
then
>cover everything with two layers of new corregated cardboard.

Yes.  And try to make sure you don't have any pieces hanging out.  Use ten
times as much strapping tape as you think is necessary.  If you don't
believe me, just take your package and put it- say in the back of a pick
up.  Drive around a little.  Then pull said package out of the truck.  Put
it back in.  Do this a few times.  See how long it takes you to drop it.

Imagine youself doing this all day.  Imagine that after a while it stops
becoming your package. Get a friend to yell at you to pick up the pace.
Start tossing the package gently- really just letting go a few inches from
where you want it to go.  Then do it some more, but use a little more
distance.  Start building walls out of your package and various other odds
and ends.  See if you can get a bunch of friends to start throwing packages
at you.  If it's summer- turn the heat on.  If it's winter, turn on the
AC.

Then see how well you treat your package.  You won't.  You'll throw it,
you'll sit on it, you'll kick it for fun.  You hate the package, it is your
enemy.  Swear at it some.  Glare at it.  Stand around a while 'cause you're
sit of moving that stupid box around.  Throw it again.

Once you've done all this, re-think your packaging.  Sturdy, easy to carry
and lift.  No sharp ends.  Make it a friendly, liftable package.  Make it
bulletproof.

>Put the to and from labels on all sides, several time, and write "glass",
>"fragile" if you wish. Keep in mind that most teamsters think "fragile" is
>french word for "park the forklift here."

Remember, whether or not you care at first (I did)- they will beat it out
of you.  It took several supervisors working together to create enough
stupidity to make me not care anymore.  Once you realise that nothing you
do- save killing a sup- will get them to take notice of problems that are
routinely leading to boxes rolling over eachother on the conveyor belts
like grain milling machines- well, it's hard to pick up the slack.

Then again, there are those teamster who don't care from the start.  They
tend to stay for 20-30 years because they never burn themselves out.  Go
figure.

Teamster Local 638
UPS loader/sorter
8/96-4/97