Droopy TR-4 Motor

To: token@ridgecrest.ca.us (Darrell Leach)
Subject: Droopy TR-4 Motor
From: "\"Mr. Mike\" Passaretti" <passaretti@sol.med.ge.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 1997 09:42:44 -0500
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net

    Darrell> Yet another question for the collective genius:
    Darrell> Has anyone had any experiance with a TR-4 motor
    Darrell> that drops down and causes contact between the
    Darrell> fan shaft and the steering rack?

    Darrell> This condition exist on two different cars, my
    Darrell> late '62 (CT13108L) and a friends '67 (CT66XXXL
    Darrell> ?).

    Darrell> New motor mounts provided a momentary reprieve
    Darrell> but after about a day of driving the condition
    Darrell> had returned.  The '67 was fixed by making shims
    Darrell> of thick washers (notched, to allow them to be
    Darrell> put in without removing the mounts) and sliding
    Darrell> these shims under the engine mounts.  While this
    Darrell> is a workable fix it strikes me that there most
    Darrell> be a better (read correct) way.

    Darrell> Any suggestions?

Not meaning to ask stupid questions, but have you checked the
rear mount (at the tranny)?  The slipstream tends to migrate
oil that way and the rubber will degrade quickly if you're not
careful about oil distribution (read leaks).  The PO of
CT34831L had a similar problem (contact between fan and
radiator) which he griped about to me when he sold it, and
which I solved by replacing that piece.  If it's shot, the
front two won't hold everything together for very long.

                                                        -MM