RE: SB-42 Classic Car Smog

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net (Return requested)
Subject: RE: SB-42 Classic Car Smog
From: Peter Mchugh <Peter.Mchugh@faa.dot.gov>
Date: 12 Jun 1997 08:36:36 -0400
Alternate-recipient: Allowed
Conversion: Allowed
Disclose-recipients: Prohibited
From: Senator.Kopp@SEN.CA.GOV at Internet
Date: 6/11/97 9:50PM
To: Peter Mchugh at ASY1PO

     Forwarded for the information of list members!!!

     PMcQ

Author:  Senator.Kopp@SEN.CA.GOV at Internet
Date:    6/11/97 9:50 PM

             Thank you very much for your letter expressing support
        for my Senate Bill 42 which would exempt from the biennial smog
        check requirement all vehicles 25 or more model years old.  The
        bill and the analysis are available on the Senate Homepage at:
             http:\\www.sen.ca.gov

               I believe that the relatively modest number of vehicles
        older than 25 years and the operating characteristics of such
        vehicles provide a firm basis for the smog check exemption
        proposed in my legislation.  As I have stated on numerous
        occasions, I will endeavor to ensure a fair, effective and
        convenient smog check program.  I will need the support of like-
        minded people such as yourself, because the Governor's Air
        Resources Board announced its opposition to the bill, based upon
        the contention it would eliminate potential removal of three tons
        of air pollution per day.

             SB 42 was approved by my committee (the Senate
        Transportation Committee) on January 21st, 6-0, and by the
        Senate Appropriations Committee on March 17th, 7-1.  I presented
        SB 42 to the full Senate on March 20th, and I am pleased it
        passed unanimously, 33-0.  The bill will next be heard by the
        Assembly Committee on Transportation on June 16, 1997.

             Once again, thanks for your interest and support.  If
        you require additional assistance or information, just notify me
        accordingly.

                                 Sincerely yours,

                                 QUENTIN L. KOPP

        QLK:dp