Alternator Problems

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Alternator Problems
From: Bschwartz@encad.com (Barry Schwartz)
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 1997 08:19:13 -0700
Well the alternator on the GT6 gave up.  Actually it's probably been bad
for quite some time.  I didn't have any indication that it was bad and only
found out about it when I was checking something else out.  I noticed a
hissing which I thought was a vacuum leak.  I discovered I was coming form
the battery vents!  Upon opening them (with a pronounced escaping of
pressurized gas) The plates were almost dry, just moist.  After replacing
the water, I noticed  immediately upon restarting the engine the massive
venting began.  All indications are that the battery is overcharging but
the voltage doesn’t appear to be too excessive, a couple volts above
battery voltage.  I'm wondering if possibly one or more of the diodes in
the rectifier gave up, causing A.C. to be applied to the battery?   I don't
have a scope so I can't verify (and haven't pulled and checked each one in
the rectifier assy). Although I don't think the regulator would function,
and it appears to be - Any Ideas?  Anyway look's like it's time for a
rebuild, ordered all the parts!  D**n, and I hate having to drive the truck
to work!  Pathetic, three LBC's and none of them operational!!!

Barry Schwartz in San Diego,CA

Bschwartz@encad.com
72-V6 Spitfire ( T5, 5 speed's, almost done, maybe 2 more weeks!)
70 GT6+ (daily driver for now)
70 Spitfire (body repair on hold see above)